Pages

Friday, August 21, 2026

Victims of Terrorism Day; Poem

(Since today is the National Day to remember Victims of Terrorism, I offer this poem, and the thought that the best way we can help victims of terrorism - which is the use of violence, often lethal, against civilians - is to diminish terrorism in all its forms)


                             A ROUTINE DAY



It was a routine day 

the way to work 

marked out by sameness.


Packed up like cattle in a truck 

we’re all at pains to hide our shared humanity

like extras in a film,


strangers, obscure, unknown to anyone 

apart from family and friends 

apart from those who'd cry when we are gone,


apart from millions 

who register a slender shock

to hear what happened next.


A flash of soundless light 

changed everything, forever. 

Bad editing, a jump,


or in a dream, 

where brown and red

can shift around,


and no-one registers a thing, 

not for a second, 

not 'til the pain cuts in.


Then it was noise of fear and pain 

the bellowing of cattle 

worse than an abattoir


much worse than when we kill to eat 

goats, sheep and cows.

Why not just line us up


Go there, strip off, breathe in and die.

Why not that ordered Nazi neatness

To reach their goal?


Why tear us all apart like spoiled brats

who rip their toys and throw red paint 

to get their way?


And yet I know that I’m the lucky one

to have a heart that beats

to spite that empty space below my knees,


although each time my eyelids close

somehow the pinkness of the filtered light

conjures up    images   of tortured flesh,


just torn up flesh, 

no more no less.

Halal or hamburger,


I do not care


Whether the author of our pain

is now in heaven with a thousand virgins

or laughing in his mess with brother officers


I do not care


Or screaming in hell while demons

with exquisite pains

put him together carefully


I do not care


Or in the highest office    in the world, 

bathing in lies

drowned in hypocrisy


I do not care


You who can freely walk the streets

You do the caring.

I only want to walk again.




(c) Richard Lawson Oct 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment