Saturday, November 18, 2006

Climate Change email list throws up a Carbon emissions estimator.

OK, here goes, into the lion's den once more...

For the last 10 years or so I have sent these guys Welcome to Trees for Life - Restoring the Caledonian Forest about £150 per annum. In return they replant the Caledonian forest - ecologically and socially sound reafforestation. That roughly offsets my CO2 emissions, and it improves Glen Affric. And yes, when I feel bad about warming my house with gas, I remind myself of this offset, and I feel better.

Recently I have begun to offest past years by sending another like sum here: Permaforest Receives Donation — Permaforest Trust
in the hope that it will help them learn how to restore rainforests.

This is heresy, I know. I have read my Internationalist, and have debated with those who say that this is bad stuff, just conscience clearing.

They say:
The science and mathematics is imprecise.
I say:
So when it gets precise, I will plant more or less, according.

They say:
The trees will only take in CO2 for 100 years while growing.
I Say:
Good. That takes us up to 2106 then.

They say:
The trees will stop growing in the end.
I say:
So I hope they will be cut down and made into houses and furniture, keeping the CO2 locked up for even longer.

They say:
Some of the trees will end up on someones fire.
I say:
I calculated that into the equation. if you reckon I undercalculated, show me, and I will do more.

They say:
You shouldn't be doing CO2 in the first place.
I say:
Neither should you. I fix mine down again. What do you do with yours?

They say:
Vast monocultures of eucalypt are bad.
I say:
I don't do monocultures, and only do eucaluptus where they belong.

La lutte continua.

No comments: