people need to be more aware of the positive benefits of greening their lifestyle; for instance
- the reduced use of cars with a switch to walking and cycling would have considerable physical
benefits in terms of physical fitness, reduced levels of obesity, and reduced pollution levels, which can be expected to reduce incidence of episodes of asthma and myocardial infarction
- and mental health benefits: exercise is and anti-depressant.
- Fitter people feel less cold, so can turn down the heating.
- eating local, in season, fresh produce would reduce CO2 emissions and improve health.
- organic food is more healthy. There is evidence for this; better levels of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
- the enterprise of responding as a nation to the threat of global heating (instead of viewing ourselves as passive victims of the process) may increase a sense of social cohesion which can be expected to carry benefits in overall health.cf the sense of social solidarity reported during WW11.