Tuesday, September 08, 2009

10:10 is good, but Government needs radically to reform the economy.

I have just signed up to 10:10 - a commitment to reduce my carbon emissions by 10% in 2010. It is a bit of a challenge, because like many, I have been reducing my carbon emissions for the last 30 years, but there is more I can do.

There are misgivings about yet another effort based on individual action, which is necessary, but not sufficient. It is vital that the economic framework is changed by legislation, and this is where the Labour Government is falling flat on its unattractive face.

It is useless to ask Mr and Mrs Average Briton to use the buses when they are do damned costly, or to cycle when there are so few cycle ways. And so on. We need to transform our economy radically, and that means a guided market to obtain a green economy.

Still, the 10:10 is a little step in the right direction.

No comments: