Thursday, November 18, 2010

To think, or not to be?

I think, therefore I am.
A reasonable start
for any man,
not just Descartes,
but doesn’t get us far.
“What am I for?”
is more the thought
that calls us to the bar.

Make sure that you don’t fail:
set out to be the alpha male.
get the top job.
Make sure you don’t get stopped
or get your bollocks cropped.

Don’t mention that we’re headed for the shit.
I said it once, I think I got away with it.

Here’s what to do:
Eat, screw,
Look out for number one,
Have loads of fun.
Make mon-

Don’t get caught, and if you do
blame it on someone you once knew.
Stay with the pack
head for the brink
and, no matter what may come
just never, ever,


© Richard Lawson
3 Sept 2006


Jim Jepps said...

I thought Sartre pretty much nailed Descartes on a very similar point.

He pointed out that although Descartes had pretty much proved *something* exists this *I* business was far from certain.

You know something exists but can't be certain what I is, or even if I is - let alone what I is for.

DocRichard said...

Yes. "I think therefore thought is" is just as tenable.

I always worry when I hear people say they are going to x in order to find themselves. Who is going, and what are they hoping to find? N good comes of it.

The one thing I like about Sartre is the idea of choosing what you will be. I choose to be optimistic about the possibility of humanity waking up out of the corporate/consumerist dream and coming to its senses. I have absolutely no evidence for this choice, it just means that my life has meaning as opposed to having no meaning.

Mow I must rush, off to the house of Lords to meet up with forest enthusiasts.