Thursday, November 18, 2010

To think, or not to be?

I think, therefore I am.
A reasonable start
for any man,
not just Descartes,
but doesn’t get us far.
“What am I for?”
is more the thought
that calls us to the bar.

Make sure that you don’t fail:
set out to be the alpha male.
get the top job.
Make sure you don’t get stopped
or get your bollocks cropped.

Don’t mention that we’re headed for the shit.
I said it once, I think I got away with it.

Here’s what to do:
Eat, screw,
Look out for number one,
Have loads of fun.
Make mon-
-ey.

Don’t get caught, and if you do
blame it on someone you once knew.
Stay with the pack
head for the brink
and, no matter what may come
just never, ever,


think.





© Richard Lawson
Congresbury
3 Sept 2006

2 comments:

Jim Jepps said...

I thought Sartre pretty much nailed Descartes on a very similar point.

He pointed out that although Descartes had pretty much proved *something* exists this *I* business was far from certain.

You know something exists but can't be certain what I is, or even if I is - let alone what I is for.

DocRichard said...

Yes. "I think therefore thought is" is just as tenable.

I always worry when I hear people say they are going to x in order to find themselves. Who is going, and what are they hoping to find? N good comes of it.

The one thing I like about Sartre is the idea of choosing what you will be. I choose to be optimistic about the possibility of humanity waking up out of the corporate/consumerist dream and coming to its senses. I have absolutely no evidence for this choice, it just means that my life has meaning as opposed to having no meaning.


Mow I must rush, off to the house of Lords to meet up with forest enthusiasts.