* Levels of crime and violence are strongly linked to inequality – .
* Low levels of trust undermine community cohesion and produce low levels of social capital (social interaction) which is a breeding ground for mistrust, misunderstanding and antagonism.
* High levels of health and social problems, more common in poorer communities anyway, are further exacerbated by inequality leading to desperation in some people.
* According to UNICEF, the
* Inequality encourages status competition and a “me first” approach to life which can be witnessed across society – from bankers to MPs to looters.
* Greater equality would improve the overall quality of social relations in the