Monday, November 10, 2008

Obama and what was left in Pandora's box

I found myself entertaining an unusual emotion yesterday. What's this, I thought, what's this nice feeling? A feeling that mankind might just get its act together and not fall off the cliff?

It was Hope, the one virtue left in Pandora's box once all the evil had been let out by her misplaced curiosity.

I suppose it is hope that keeps us all going anyway. I have been sustained for years by E F Schumacher's line about "We must do the right thing, and not worry about whether or not we will be successful, because if we do not do the right thing, we will be part of the problem, not part of the solution".

And a couple of years ago I made a decision to choose hope over against despair, because despair is (a) depressing and no fun and (b) stops you doing anything.

Obama's election has fanned hope into a palpable flame in my consciousness, and if in me, then also in evreyone (except, of course, irredeemable conservatives) in the world.

We must nurture the flame of hope with action. If we just sit back and leave it to Obama it will all fade away.

Today I have been working on the Report on the Global Index of Human Rights which is due ot be launched on December 8th.

No comments: