Kettling is arguably unlawful detention, and a case is going to the European Court of Human Rights.
Hopefully, students who were kettled today will form a class action on legal aid (before it is withdrawn) to challenge the police action.
However, for the time being, if we are going to demonstrate, we had all better go prepared to be kettled for many hours.
So, here is a check list for demos:
- Sleeping bag.
- Drink - in a bottle that can contain urine when empty
- Shepee for the girls.
- Plastic bag for shitting into (NB Resist the temptation to throw filled bags as police lines. It is vital to be friendly to the police, as the Government will have to back down when the police refuse to do the politicians' dirty work for them.)
- Kettle, gas stove, tea bags, powdered milk, sugar (if taken)
- Hand cranked mobile phone charger.
- If kettled, organise. form groups of round about 8 people, get to know each other, talk about the situation, and elect a speaker. Get the speakers together to pass on ideas, and elect a main speaker for all the prisoners, who can seek to speak with the police commander.
- Be mindful that people can be crushed in crowds.